About Lizzie’s House
Lizzie’s House is a nonprofit organization and our mission is to provide at risk women and children in crisis with a permanent housing shelter, and to equip them with the necessary skills to break the cycle of poverty, illiteracy, hopelessness, and dependency, in order to gain stability and become productive citizens in the community.
This mission is accomplished through life skill training, counseling services, money management, group therapy, and case management assessment.
METHOD OF OPERATION
The shelter provides a clean, loving and caring family environment that will be conducive to developing an attitude of excellence. When participants enter the program the following support and services are provided:
- Case Management and Assessment: At the time of intake each client will be assessed to determine the specific need. The assessment will determine to what extent the following services will be provided.
- Life Skill Training: Based on the assessment activities, which will include: self-assessment, budgeting, goal setting, personal hygiene, nutrition, and self-esteem, the participants life skills will be developed.
- Child Care: If there is a need for childcare, Lizzie’s House collaborates with the state of Mississippi’s TANF program and the YMCA, to provide slots to participants who are employed, enrolled in school, or seeking employment.
- Job Placement Assistance: Lizzie’s House also collaborates with the WINN Job Center, as well as providing a career counselor, and other major employers to assist our clients with employment.
- Follow-Up Services: Post graduation follow-up services will be provided to each client by Lizzie’s House staff three to six months after graduation.
In the past history of this program we have had many women to receive the services that we offer for the purpose of assisting them in becoming self-sufficient and independent. Many have gone on and done well with their lives. However, a few have left before completing the program, only to return again. We have found it is essential that we hold them accountable and challenge them in the weak areas of their lives.
- Must be homeless
- Must not be pregnant
- Willing to take a drug test
- Must have a desire to change current condition
- If not working upon acceptance into the program, the participant must be willing to look for work on a daily basis until she is employed. Failure to do so will cause immediate dismissal from the program
- Must be interviewed by the case manager or director for approval
- Must attend group and one on one counseling at least four (4) times per week
- Must be willing to respect the rules and regulations
- Must have a willingness to submit to the mentoring program’s authority; which will include any additional chores, cleaning duties, volunteer services at any for-profit business for the purpose of Job Training
- Must keep the environment clean
- Must be willing to rise up early enough each morning Monday thru Friday to clean your room; and be ready for assignments at 8am
- Must be willing to attend group meetings on Sunday Mornings at 10a.m.
A HOLISTIC MINISTRY: “LIZZIE’S HOUSE MEETS THE TOTAL NEED”
- A shelter of restoration for women and children
- Food Pantry: “I was hungry and you gave me food.” (Matt. 24:35a)
- Clothes Closet: “I was naked and you clothed me.” (Matt. 24:36a)
- Counseling Services: “Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. (Matt. 11:28)
Lizzie’s House provides a clean, loving and caring family environment that will be conducive to developing an attitude of excellence.